Preparing to sell any home is a big step. You’ll be trying to get the most for your home so that you can take the next steps in your life – often including buying a newer home. But what many don’t’ realize is that there is much more to the process than just listing the home with a real estate broker and waiting on the sale.
With that in mind, it’s well worth taking the time to go over a few of the basics that could help you get a better experience – and a better price – from selling your home. Here are some of the main things to include on your checklist.
- Start off by doing major repairs and even some minor ones. While you may not be able to afford to repair everything, do your best to get the home in the best shape possible to ensure better overall appeal and a better price.
- Make sure that you handle exterior issues to increase curb appeal. Trim trees, handle landscaping, clean up anything that is just sitting around, and so on. These little things can have a big impact on selling your home.
- Take some time to get to know the market in your area. Look at comparable homes on the market and see what they’re listed for and even try to spot some homes that have recently sold. This way you will have a good idea of what price to ask for before you ever talk to a real estate broker.
- Consider staging your home, if your decor is appropriate you can start by cleaning up clutter in every room and try to adjust things to a more neutral setting. Painting rooms a more neutral color can help, but if you have loud or very unique decor, it may be time to store it in favor of something that helps potential buyers better visualize the home. We are happy to assist you in figuring out if you need a professional stager.
- Finally, find a great real estate agent. The Los Angeles area’s real estate market is very vibrant and it’s well worth taking the time to find a real estate expert you can trust to help you. They’ll be your biggest ally and ensure that you get the best experience when you sell your home.
Keep these basic tips in mind and you’ll be able to sell your home and get a great price, a faster sell time, and better overall results.